"hold" note uninterrupted feature

Im looking for a unit that will allow me to play one note, hit a button on
the floor once, and it will sample and hold that note continuously and
uninterrupted without any hint of decay or repeated attacks. Something
like a
digital sustain pedal (for a guitar rig), that does not repeat the initial
attack like a looper does, but will hold a continuous drone of the note I
play when I activate the unit.

Also I do not want to have to hold the pedal down to keep the note
sounding,
I want to be able to hit the button once, which makes the note sound
uninterrupted for as long as I want, play whatever I want unaffected
(echo-free), and then when Im sick of the background droning note, I hit
the
button once again to deactivate the unit.

The unit may be a simple stompbox or a rackmount, as long as I can control
the feature via footswitch.

Anyone know of ANYTHING of this sort,
thanks
Jesse Malone