TIP: Multitrack recording multiple output loopers as "first take"

Hi,

I had a problem with my DAW recording gear offering only four analog
inputs and my looping rig using six outputs (Instrument, EDP and 4
Repeater outputs). So I came up with what I initially looked at as "a
workaround" but then I found it to be a nice concept for recording
improvised performances with multiple outputs loopers.

The trick was to split the Instrument signal and record only the dry
instrument signal on one track at the same as I also recorded the midi
data produced by my FCB1010 foot controller. Then I could rewire and
send the recorded audio track into the loopers while feeding them with
the recorded midi track and have my performance "re-performed".

At this stage there is room for the decision: "Is this good for keeping
or should I trash it and do one more take?". I you decide to keep it,
you rewire a bit more, run the sequencer and record every looper and
looper track as a separate audio track. When doing this you have plenty
of time to optimize recording levels and pick the best analog compressor
and EQ gear to for the best sound. I did this procedure five times and
ended up with a six audio track song to mix in Logic. And it was exactly
the way I improvised it as a firsttake!

I like this method since you can work really fast and crate loads of
music in that first phase, before you sit down and recreate the separate
looper tracks.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se