Re: Surriptitious Loop Building

At 2:55 PM -0500 2/26/03, Paulzric@aol.com wrote:
>Question: since most loop building consists of a real-time operator,
>hands-free, what are some options for building loops without the
>audience having to track the entire process? That is, at some point,
>I'd suspect, it would be nice to hit them with a fully developed
>loop that is consistent with the theme played at the time, but one
>that wasn't observed (or whatever word...witnessed, experienced)
>during its development?
>
>Any ideas, routing and gear and etc., would be appreciated. The
>lower the budget, the better, but not necessary.

A lot of what I do depends on source material that isn't heard by
either the audience OR myself until it is already in the loop! This
could be a recipe for disaster, but I find that it keeps me on my
toes and invites serendipitous musical development.

I'm using CD playback with a mixer setup that allows sending to the
loopers without the source signal being also sent into the output
mix. I've been using an old Mackie 1604 mixer with output monitoring
assigned to "solo." That way I can punch channels in and out at will.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com