RE: finally a MIDI looper?

Yes, http://www.phoniclab.ca/mloop.htm, looks pretty cool!  The UI looks
quite nice!

Being Mac-less, I'm also Max-less.  One of these days, though, I'm gonna
buy
me a Mac!  I've really wanted to play around with Max for quite some time.

The Looper Construction Kit supports MIDI looping as a consequence of the
"signal unity principle" of Kyma.  (That's my own term.)  In Kyma, all
signals, regardles of their nature, are represented as a 24-bit fractional
integer ranging from -1.0 to 1.0 (approximately).  Thus you can easily
change MIDI events into a normalized signal.  One of the LCK examples
encodes MIDI note-on/-off events (including the velocity) into a 24-bit
number.  From that point, looping MIDI is no different than looping audio.

This "signal unity principle" has positive and negative consequences.

On the positive side, all the signal processing do-dads are available for a
MIDI encoded signal.  Since Kyma has *a lot* of ways to twist signals, this
amounts to *a lot* of ways to twist MIDI.  Of course, many may not make
much
sense, but many do.  From the LCK perspective, you can as easily
save/restore to disk, insert, undo, and redo MIDI loops as any other loop.

On the negative side, the "signal unity principle" makes dealing with
MIDI-specific attributes more difficult.  For example, we think of a MIDI
note-on and it's associated note-off event as comprising one item or entity
rather than two events.  So  when we move a MIDI note-on event from one
track to another, we typically think of moving the note-off event as well.

Dennis Leas
dennis@mail.worldserver.com