Re: Ableton LIVE's ability to loop in real time

At 04:23 PM 3/11/2003, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL wrote:
>My brother Bill and I were discussing Ableton's LIVE today and it is my
>impression that
>you cannot looping in real time in that program. He thought you could and
>didn't see the NAMM demo of this cool program this year.

I think Bill is right, I had the guy demonstrate this feature for me. It
is
really not the main thrust of the program, but it can record a loop while
it is playing back other material. I don't think it can do overdubbing or
anything else like that, it seemed pretty basic in this regard.

>Also, I have noticed that Cycling 74's  RADIAL (soon to be released on the
>Mac side) and The DEVINE_MACHINE (for PC) both have fascinating realtime
>manipulations of loops but
>do not have the ability to loop in real time either (like the most basic
>DL4
>or Loopstation).
>
>Why is the computer world lagging so far behind the hardware loopers in
>this
>respect?

these programs are created for live remixing, not live looping of real
instruments being played. They don't do what you want because they were
created to do something else.

kim