Re: laptop live

Quoting jimfowler <jimfowler@prodigy.net>:
> i've been toying with the idea of getting a mac laptop for live
> use...mainly
> for beats and what-not...of course, the newest G4 books are way out of my
> price range.  what is the minimum amount of power (ballpark figure) i
>would
> need for this?

the heart of my electronic music rig is a Powerbook G3/500 running OS 10
and
the Numerology sequencer (www.five12.com). it's plenty capable with clock
cycles to spare.

$500 laptop + $50 sequencer = affordable, depending on what you're going
to be
controlling with the sequencer.

Jim uses Simple Synth alot, it's just the quicktime software GM synth with
the
Roland sample set in it. i find it musically useful too, but have more fun
with
my hardware synths.

but if you're just looking for something to make crazy beats with you
should
check Numerology out. it's the supremest MIDI sequencer for crazy drum
patterns.