Re: line 6 dl4 mod?

I think you mix up things:
one is that "the old-scool delays" have a sample clock easily
changable because there is no processor (or just for display control
and such) and the old AD converters work at any clock, while the
actual ones have an internal DSP that needs a constant clock.

the other one is that there are basically two ways of organizing the
sound on the memory. The EDP does it like a tape, the JamMan and
Repeater like a sampler. So "the EDP is a sampler-style device"
sounds wrong, although it also has sampler functions. This issue is
explained better in previous posts.

>A few years ago someone (I believe it was Kim) explained two
>different approaches to looping devices, which (as I recall) were
>delay versus sampler.  I believe this was in response to a request
>that the EDP be upgraded to include the pitch-shift effects you can
>get with old-school delays through turning the delay time knob, and
>the short version of it all seemed to boil down to "sampler-style
>architecture makes it very difficult to do this while delay-style
>architecture makes it easy, and the EDP is a sampler-style device"
>(the Akai Headrush came out around that time and also lacked the
>feature I think you're hoping for).

>This is probably an oversimplification on my part, but as far as
>your DL4-modding desire, I suspect the answer is "No, or not unless
>you can find someone who can write new software for the DL-4 and
>burn it into an EPROM".

...which is totally unrealistic :-(

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org