Re: Laptop recommendations

> Also, most of the new laptops have Firewire, but you might also look for
USB
> 2.0 for flexibility. I just noticed the new Dell laptops now have USB
>2.0,
> which is great.

Unless you can check the unit before you buy it, STAY AWAY from all things
Dell.

I haven't seen their current production models, but on every unit I've
tried
(more than a few, since we use them at my day job), their power supply
feeds
directly into the ground, which means that you can't use them for any kind
of audio with the power plugged in - a horrible and unavoidable hum occurs
when you plug them into any kind of mixer or power speakers. There is no
solution - it even happens with USB audio.

When I talked to Dell support, the said they knew of no plans to rectify
this.

bIz