Re: Equalizers for room resonance?

     Andy Butler wrote:
<<<Sorry 'bout this OT.
..and for losing the original posts.
but this is for the guy who asked about equalizers
for his loop studio, which had a room resonance problem.>>>

     SVG writes:  That would be me, yes.

<<<1) first try re-positioning speakers, maybe further from the walls>>>>

     Done that, the bass decreases slightly though the 63Hz tone is still
just as prominent.

<<<2) I have a similar problem with a decent hifi in a small living room,
and sometimes use the
Behringer Ultragain (with parametric EQ) to reduce the problem. I don't
notice any sound
degradation with this, but the result isn't "studio accurate".
3) Graphic EQ is used in some high end studios to compensate for room
sound, but usually quite
small adjustments.
4) You'll also have to deal with higher harmonics of the resonance.>>>

     Functionally, this is the only frequency that I have an issue with.
It is caused (I believe)
by the floor to ceiling height of 9'3" (around 63 Hz, or "B" an octave
below middle C, aka B3).
The harmonics of this frequency are noticable though well under control.

<<<5)  EQ will never "solve" this problem, only help to make it less
noticeable.>>>

     That's all I'm looking for, somewhat of a decrease in that particular
resonance.

<<<6)  Large studios spend vast sums of money to purpose build a room that
    doesn't have these sorts of problems>>>

     So do these large studios mix down their tapes with a cut around 63Hz
knowing that most
living room situations emphasize this frequency?  I'm not sure why this
particular frequency
doesn't make more of a stir in DIY recording tips.  Then again, I don't
really notice it when I'm
listening to music, just when I'm in the ultra pristine environment of my
keyboard studio.

<<<7)  There's a thing called a "bass trap" , a large box designed to soak
up
     room resonances at specific frequencies. Probably too big for your
room.>>>

          I am actually looking into this now.  Going through my old
college texts on musical
acoustics and seeing if a bass trap is feasable.  I build marimbas for a
living and some of my
bass instruments use "sonotubes" which are just round cardboard tubes used
for concrete pillars.
I was thinking of making one of two of these (12" diameter, a hair over 4'
tall) and placing them
in the room.

<<<8) Move house.>>>

     Into a house that doesn't have 9' ceilings?  Or that has floor and
ceilings that are not
parallel to each other?  Almost everywhere I've ever lived, this has been
an issue.  In my garage
studio, the ceiling drops 12" over 20'.  The resonance isn't anywhere near
as problematic in
there.  Unfortunately, that's not my main studio anymore.  I use it as a
rehearsal space for my
band.

     I should explain here that I play keyboards and this phenomenon is
most noticable with
electric piano type patches or any patch that has a strong fundamental.
Acoustic piano patches
don't seem to have as strong a fundamental.  Anyway, everytime I play B2
(63Hz), the sound just
booms forth.  It's quite disconcerting, my natural reaction is to think
that I just hit the note
too hard.  Imagine all you guitar players, that every time you hit a
certain note, it was way out
of balance.  It'd drive you batty for sure.

     If the bass trap idea doesn't work, I'll look into a parametric.  The
original question
was... will the Behringer T1951 Ultra Q Tube Processor for $140 give me
what I'm looking for at
great cost to my already pristine sound?  I can turn my 350 watt amp up
all the way, put my ear up
to the speaker and only faintly detect any noise.  Not true of most gear
that I've owned.  So
what's the noise floor like on the Behringer?  Am I better off spending 10
times that amount just
to preserve the rest of the sound?  Perhaps it's just time to lean on
Guitar Center and take
advatage of their 30 day return policy to see what it is that I need.

     Thanks Andy and others for your replies,

            Stephen