Re: LOOPING TRIVIA QUESTION reply to Dr Richard Zvonar

At 10:14 PM +0100 4/27/03, Geoff Smith wrote:

>>There are several loop-based sections in my theater piece "soul
>>murder" (1982)."
>I MUST LOOK AT YOUR WORK MORE CLOSELY!!!!

Most of the looping in this piece was trivial, digital versions of
tape loops, but there was one section that's kind of interesting. I
was using a utility program, written by Gareth Loy, called "sfplay."
This was external to the cmusic environment and was meant as a way to
audition sound files and to find edit points. You could specify the
beginning and end points of a segment, the sampling rate, and the
number of playback repetitions. You could also specify a "nudge"
value so that you could "walk" the playback window forward and back
in time to find the edit point. I started using this technique as a
sort of performance technique, moving the playback window through a
sound file in incremental fashion. The result was a pulsating vocal
burst that migrated slowly through a spoken phrase.

>YOU ARE AS ALWAYS A FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE, HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF
>WRITING
>A BOOK ON THE SUBJECT????

Can you recommend a publisher?

Richard Zvonar, PhD