Re: free improv. in a band situation

In a message dated 4/29/03 9:33:19 AM, rauboto@ad-free.info writes:

<< I remember a funny tale i'd read in some Cage book when he refused to
lead
a free jazz band because all they played all the time with the same
dynamics.
He seemed not to like free improv. saying the subconscious will led your
mind. Though in another writting (which i don't remember where) he said
he'd
found an interesting way to deal with it. May anybody point me to the
original source? >>

Actually that sounds like an interview with Gavin Bryars I read in some
music
magazine. Or maybe it was liner notes to one of his records.

BobC

The Thumb Piano Project
www.mp3.com/thumbpianoproject
http://trundlebox.iuma.com