Re: My two cents and a question for all concerning mixers--was re:MIDI Foot controllers?

Hi Will,

Thanks for the opportunity to think about my perfect looping mixer. A few
thoughts below:

I currently use a keyboard and 2 synth modules controlled by a MIDI wind
controller, they all have stereo outs. I also use a miced up soprano
saxophone
and a flute, oh and a drum machine.

So, 1. good easy to see and feel layout so that its quick and
straightforward
to get to a control quickly at a gig. I wonder about different sized knobs
as
well as colours and knobs with pointers.

Rackmount (2U). All wiring on rear except for mono (mXLR and jack) inputs
on
the front.

Plenty of stereo channels + a couple of mono channels with decent mic pres
+
phantom power.

Simple but thoughtful EQ on mono channels but for me, sends are more
important
than EQ on stereo channels. Good metering too. A good powerful headphone
amp
with solo/pfl, so sounds can be checked before going out to
main outputs and without effecting what's coming from the main outs.

2 post-fade and 1 pre-fade send

My most important bit for a looping mixer is to come up with some way
(either
by MIDI or other footswitch and pedal arrangement) to be able to control
channel (post-fade) sends during performance. I would like to (say) be
able to
send one synth to my looper, then another, to be able to fade aux sends up
and
down by foot rather than by hand. I know that there would be compromises
here
but it would be great to have some external control over sends.

As for the cost I guess around £200 (UK) If it had the right features.
There
are lots of good mixers at really low prices on the market and we cope with
the
compromises, but for a mixer designed for looping, I'd pay this but not too
much more. I have a good more fully featured desk in my studio but for
looping,
I want something very specific that would be permenantly wired up in a
rack
case, I wouldn't want too many features that I don't use.

I'll be interested to hear other peoples' replies - they'll probably get me
more clear too.

Thanks.

Ian.