RE: midi looper

All,

A MIDI looper is something I've wanted for years, and it is taking me that
long to program one myself. But now with everyone brainstorming, here's my
2 cents...

Someone talked about an abstraction layer to deal with the layering issues
or what-have-you... I am considering creating a virtual instrument (or
consider it an outport) that one could set to respond appropriately to the
outstream. It would store which notes were on, as well as CCs, etc. That
way, you could programmatically determine if an outbound note-on would
result in layering, or a CC would reset, and respond accordingly. One of
the big things that MIDI lacks is a 'memory' -- once a message is down the
line, it (and it's after-effects) are lost to the system.

Of course, the downside is latency in cases like that, but one hopes that
today's PCs are fast enough to get the point across.

Anyway, just wanted to toss in my opinion. If somebody comes across (or
creates!) one of these fabled devices, I would love to stop puttering
around with mine.

Thanks,
Tim
www.prettybigmusic.com