From: ArsOcarina@aol.com [mailto:ArsOcarina@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:08 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: OT: Sustainiac

Hi there Loopsters,

In a message dated 8/7/03 10:27:38 AM, nospam@developsolutions.com writes:

>Anyone here have any thoughts on the acoustic version of the
>sustainiac?

Well, I've been using one of the original Model B units for about 20 years
now.
Hear samples of what that sounds like at: http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
Alan Hoover, a former LD list member is still in the biz and is now making

new and improved Model C version even as we speak. I spent a good deal of
time in his booth at NAMM last January trying it out.

As for the model B, I started using it before the in-the-guitar systems
were
available. However, I play a Gibson with humbuckers and am rather fond of
my neck-position Duncan SH-2 "Jazz" pickup and never would've been willing
to trade it out for something else to begin with. Plus the outboard Model B
can be used on several of your instruments if you can attach a magnetic
headstock bracket to them. This way you are not stuck with only having
one particular dedicated "sustainiac" instrument.

The Model B which I use is essentially a large(ish) stomp box with a 50
watt

amp in it and footswitches on top for controlling it and knobs for
adjusting

things. Your guitar signal goes into the input and passes straight on
through
to one output that continues downstream to the rest of you signal chain
just

like before. There is another output though that sends you signal (much
amplified) to a transducer held by magnetic clip installed on the back of
your
guitar's headstock. This little transducer (essentially a speaker coil
without
the paper cone) reintroduces the physical vibrations of what you are
playing

back into the body of the instrument.

You don't have to play with distortion or anything to make it work. Just
dial
in the right amount of feedback "level" (usually the point where it just
starts
feeding back, but I take it just a little further and use my hands to
control
the excess vibration by the manner I hold the instrument neck and mute the
strings at the bridge). My sustainiac is "on" about 90% of the time. If
you
hold
both switches down the switches "latch" on instead of being in "momentary
mode." I then toggle between even and odd harmonics with the footswitches
as suits what I am playing.

The new Model C that Alan is now making switches automatically between even
and odd harmonic modes and works pretty darn well. The new box is smaller
and uses a more efficient amplifier and a smaller, lighter transducer too.
He
also has worked up a new wiring system for connecting the unit to your
guitar.
I keep meaning to buy one as a spare for my original (I'd be lost without
it)
but
as I am a family guy there keeps being other things to spend money on . .
.
like
kids . . . and as the economy relay sucks right now, my business has been
slow
to nonexistent. So, no toys for Ted for a while (heheh).

That should about cover it. For further questions go to:
http://www.amptone.com/maniacsustainiac.htm

Or write Alan Hover directly at: info@sustainiac.com
He's a very nice fellow, super helpful and knowledgeable.

Tell him I sent you and maybe he'll forgive me for not having bought that
Model C
yet like I told him I was going to do long before the economy crapped out
on

me (heheh). Anywho, tell him "Hi!" for me anyway.

Best,

tEd R kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian