Joel Harrison and Free Country

Hey,

I was lucky enough to be one of the about 10 people in the audience
to hear Joel Harrison and his band Free Country last night, at
Squirrels here in Corvallis, OR. He's in the middle of a West Coast
tour supporting his new CD, and it seems that the tour hasn't gotten
the publicity it deserves, so I thought I'd give a heads up to the
list. Basically, if you like Frisell's recent discs, or Nels Cline's
jazzier stuff, you will also dig this band. Harrison is an NYC-based
guitarist with great, understated chops, and a surprisingly good
voice. This band does avant jazz arrangements of country and folk
standards, and as corny as that might sound, it really works well!

Plus, there's actual looping content. Harrison uses a DL4  a lot to
set up drones and loops of finger-picked guitar parts. His sax
player, David Binney, uses a Boss SP202 sampler to capture and
process live samples of the band, and does so better than just about
anyone I've seen using the SP202. During one tune, where the band
went into a dub feel, Binney did a really interesting live dub on the
band just using the SP202 and a boss digital delay pedal. The band
also includes an acoustic bassist and a drummer, both great players.

The band will be at Jimmy Mak's in Portland tonight, in Olympia on
8/11, and Seattle on 8/12. For more details and other dates in the
area, there's a schedule on his website http://www.joelharrison.com/

I really urge any NW loopsters to check this band out, I left the
club last night totally inspired.