Re: reaktor, MSP, etc

At 06:37 PM 8/23/2003, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>I've said it before, but Digital Performer is *1* feature away from being
>one of the most amazing loopers out there.  If only there was public
>outcry for them to add a feedback control to POLAR I would probably sell
>my Repeater in a heartbeat.

You must have really simple needs in a looper, because I look at Digital
Performer and it seems to me like a nice recording environment with a
simple loop function built in to aid in recording multiple takes. I don't
see where it has very many real-time looping functions at all, let alone a
user interface aimed at the needs of loopers. It basically does Overdub,
and that's about it. As far as I can tell you can't even tap the record
points on the fly as you record, which is a pretty key looping function
that all loopers have had for at least 15 years. Adding feedback might
bring it up to par with loopers from 30 years ago, but I don't quite see
how that makes it "one of the most amazing loopers out there". Using DP
for
real time looping seems like using an ocean liner to play tennis. Wrong
tool for the job.

But then maybe I'm missing something. After all I only read the available
literature about it and saw a demo at some point, I don't use the
software.
What do I know? How about if you list the real-time looping functions and
looper user interface controls of Digital Performer? Then we can see how
it
stacks up against the dedicated loopers out there.

kim