Re: Stereo EDP

In a message dated 8/25/03 1:56:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tiktok@sprintmail.com writes:

>What, are you on drugs?  Demoted to esoterica is dead in my book.  Hard
>disk recording didn't kill tape?  It sure did.  When was the last time
>you saw a tape based looper in a store?  When was the last time it was
>manufactured?  Sure, there will be die hard people who will still hold
>on to old technology, but as a mainstream thing it will be gone.

Well, it's funny you should ask, but just last week actually:

http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

Click on the link for "Tube Tape Echo" and you can see a brand new product with two dead technologies as selling points.  And pretty much every guitar store I go into that deals in old effects has a tape Echoplex for sale.  And it's easier than ever to find two Teac reel-to-reels if you want to replicate the classic frippertronics/time-lag accumlator/whatever system.

Reel to reel analog recording still seems to be holding on also.

I often hear of people who track to 2" analog to get the saturation and then dump immediately to Pro Tools or similar to continue. Admittedly, these are pros with more choices and deeper pockets than most of us, but no way is analog over yet. And why should it ever be this OR that, anyway? I want this, and that. And I'd rather spend my time and energy confronting my own primal creative process than argue this vs that any day. ymmv

TF