Re: repeater in FX loop

Thanks for that. Rather than dealing with live mixing, I will probably compromise for the moment and run my pod XT in bypass mode in front of the rack stuff, and just plug everything serially straight into the input on the amp. This seems to work OK, although it would be nice to have it all going through the fx loop.

On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 05:19 am, Travis Hartnett wrote:

You can try putting a mixer into the effects loop of the amp, after the TC and before the Repeater. Put the Repeater into the effects loop of the mixer (which would be in the effects loop of the amp at this point), and bring the Repeater output back into another channel so you have independent control of its output level and use the master fader on the mixer to control your over all volume level. You may notice some of the "feel" of the amp goes away in this configuration. Also, you may encounter an undesirable muddiness by trying to stuff all this signal into a guitar power amp and single speaker.

You could try using one of those Rane SM-26's, if you're looking for a 1U rackable solution. It's just a splitter/mixer though--no EQ. You can usually find them for about $100 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708233407&category=23785
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708064438&category=23785

Or you could try one of the small table-top mixers (Mackie 1202, Behringer whatever, etc), if racking isn't a concern for you.

TravisH

On Mar 3, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com wrote:

From: Paul Greenstein <paul@ubiq.co.uk>
Date: March 3, 2004 1:49:44 PM PST
To: loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: repeater in FX loop

Not strictly a looping issue, but anyway -

I'm using a TC G-Major and Repeater. Getting back into going out and playing live, I've invested in a Mesa Boogie F-50 combo.

Both devices (particularly the G-Major) are designed to work best in an amp FX send/return loop.

However:

a. The Repeater, when playing back loops, essentially is going direct to the power-amp section of the boogie, which delivers a deafening 50 watts, even with everything turned down to 0. This is obviously unusable.

b. The boogie's FX loops runs in parallel, so the dry signal is always audible unless the FX mix is turned right up. This produces lots of noise. I'd like to be able to play pitch shifted stuff without hearing the dry signal at all.

I could run the G-Major and Repeater in front of the amp input rather than through the FX loop, but the G-Major requires a pre-amp rather than a guitar input and I would rather not use another preamp in front of the combo.

Anyone got any suggestions/solutions?

Paul