RE: PERCUSSION LOOPING setups/philosophy/techniques/learning concepts

From: "loop.pool" <looppool@cruzio.com>

1)  Their equipment setup

MD> A Roland DR. 660 (drum machine) run through a Dr. Sample (for FX),
then
a DL-4. It's not enough. I'm looking at adding more processing devices in
the future.

2)  Their rhythmic philosophy or approach to using looping

MD> I'm trying to use the drum machine interchangeably as an intuitive
improvisation/melodic/textural instrument and as a percussion instrument,
and to blur the lines between them. I started running it through a looping
device because I felt that the internal rhythm-programming ability was too
rigid and not well suited for improvisation. (Although sometimes I still
use the internal rhythm looper to turn my loose totterings into strict but
unusual rhythms.) I'm still figuring a lot out, but one of my goals is to
use the musical potential of bad timing.

3)  Some favorite tricks or techniques that they use in their live shows

MD> A few months ago, I discovered a "yo-yo" effect at a show. That is, I
recorded a loop of sparse drum sounds with long reverb, reversed the loop,
and manually played reverby drum sounds a second or so before each reverse
reverb drum sounded.

4)  Any thoughts on how to use live looping tools to increase rhythic
acuity