Re: Nels Cline (of the Geraldine Fibbers)

On Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at 02:31 PM, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

> John,
>
> In a message dated 7/13/04 1:59:21 PM, jarofjam@mac.com writes:
>
>> Wow am I dreaming or did a conversation about Nels Cline start up on
>> the LD list?
>
> Nope. Several ... ahem ... years back ... ahem ... Nels used to "run"
> the "New Music Night" program at the Alligator Lounge in Santa
> Monica, California. I frequented the place as an audient and as
> a performer on several occasions. Nels is a swell guy. He was
> always very encouraging -- even to musical wannabe punters such
> as meself. He'd sit at the bar with you after your set and say
> such nice things (and make you believe he really meant 'em too).
> Then he'd take the stage (sometime 'round midnight) and close
> the place out with his trio -- playing such wonderful, blistering,
> sweet, madness as to make you laugh, cry jump up and down
> and holler for more all at the same time. He's an awesome talent.
>
> Like they say, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Indeed! My first exposure to Nels was with the Vinny Golia Quintet,
with his brother Alex on drums, Golia on virtually every instrument
with a reed, Ken Filiano on bass and my then-professor Rob Blakeslee on
trumpet. I saw them on tour in Eugene, OR, and I left with a
permanently blown mind. Over the years, I'd see him just about every
time he came through the NorthWest. My band Minus opened for his trio a
few times, and one of the greatest compliments I ever got was when he
said we were "evil." Saw him with Mike Watt as well, as well as his
"cover" on Interstellar Space with Greg Bendian. Cline is one of those
rare musicians that can play in almost any context and fit perfectly
while still making an individual statement. It's cool that he got the
Wilco gig, and I think he'll make Wilco a cooler band as well.