re: the good old Mac/PC question (was: looping observation)

some hate the question, but as Rick points out, times change and it
has to be reconsidered...

>Tom wrote:
>"I assume you're using OS 9 or some such?  I keep my OS/X laptop up
>for weeks without any problems.  But I don't do much digital audio on it."
>
>No, I"m running OS X which is really stable.

yes, the OS hardly ever crashes. only the apps sometimes do :-(
how about the apps on XP?

>I've just had less crashes with my PC.
>I have to say, in fairness, that I am running an 867 mghz processor in the
>12" laptop so it is not nearly state of the art.

speed is reasonable and certainly not the cause. I suspect though
that RAM could be little...

>If I had to desert island a decision personally,  I would have to go with
>the PC due to it and it's peripherals inexpensiveness and the proprietary
>software that is available for it but it would be a really difficult
>choice
>because the Mac world is so cool
>(and the visuals of the Mac are exquisite I think).

rather strong arguments are that Logic is not updated for PC
quite some plugins are not available for Mac
there is a Nuendo crack for PC but not for Mac...

seems that latency is about equal... is it?

I am seriously thinking about getting a cheap PC for stage and leave
my loved Mac safely at home. Also because its usually a hassle to
keep switching things if you have only one computer, so the PC I
would only use for playing, hoping that it would be ready for it at
all times...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org