re: looping observation

Tom wrote:
"I assume you're using OS 9 or some such?  I keep my OS/X laptop up
for weeks without any problems.  But I don't do much digital audio on it."

No, I"m running OS X which is really stable.   I've just had less crashes
with my PC.
I have to say, in fairness, that I am running an 867 mghz processor in the
12" laptop so
it is not nearly state of the art.

Tom also wrote:
"Generally, I recommend technically sophisticated people with more
time than money get PCs because you can get 'em dirt cheap.
People without spare time or who aren't so techie, I send to the Mac."

I agree with you here.   Straight out of the box, the Mac is just simpler.
I also forget how incredibly frustrating it was trying to get my Win 98se
system to work.     Win XP is so vastly much easier and stable.

At the last digital music conference that I went to a bunch of Mac people
(the predominant amount of electronic music composers in the room at the
time) were trashing PCs.     I got up and asked which OS the people who had
experience with PCs were running.    All of them had experience with win 95
or win 98.  Noone had even tried XP (which was relatively new at the time).
In 1999, the Mac kicked total ass on the PC, but  peeps, it's 2004 now and
time has moved on.

If I had to desert island a decision personally,  I would have to go with
the PC due to it and it's peripherals inexpensiveness and the proprietary
software that is available for it but it would be a really difficult choice
because the Mac world is so cool
(and the visuals of the Mac are exquisite I think).

The tools available on either platform are just stunning, even compared
with
what was available 5 years ago.   120 gig hard drives for $75?   Just
unbelivable.

It is a great time to be a musician because of how powerful computers are.
Michael Klobuchar is going to love
his new Mac and with really good reason.   I predict it.