Fw: the good old Mac/PC question (was: looping observation)

ok, I know those items need to be considered, but what's the solution?

does anybody know about a decent/state of the art shopping list for setting up an audio PC/MAC,
which hopefully includes just as much background info to understand why to use the one thing but not the other
(pref. online, but could be a book or magazine as well)?

and of course, a decent XP/OS X set up list for audio would be apprechiated, as well ;-)

that would help me a lot because I wish to buy some gear soon

Thanks :-)

Leander

... oh, and I forgot: for laptops as well! (actually, most important for me ;-)

Thanks again

Leander

it is far more complicated than that....

Which Athlon? (or which Pentium?)
Which chipset? (this probably matters even more than the cpu.)
which motherboard?
what memory is installed?
what is the FSB speed?
what is the memory speed?
cas latency?
which hard disk?  which ATA interface? ATA100? ATA133? SATA?
which graphics chip? standalone? integrated?
AGP 1x? 4x? 8x? PCI express?
what peripherals are installed?
how do the all various peripherals load the busses?
do the peripherals add to cpu load or offload it?
which bios?
which drivers? versions?

etc, etc, etc.

If you are building a performance PC and you don't understand these things,
you might as well turn the lights out and throw darts at the dell catalog.

If you are interested in performance, there are a lot more variables than
the cpu. And there is far more below the hood that affects you than what
you see looking at the windows desktop. Going for the cheapest hardware can
mean a huge compromise if you don't know what you really need. No version
of windows can save you if the hardware isn't up to it. (Be prepared to
spend a whole bunch of time at anandtech, tomshardware, etc to figure it
out....)

>good thing about the mac is that you quickly find out which one you need :-)

even there, do you understand the difference between G4 and G5? DDR memory
versus SDR? DDR FSB? Dual CPU? single? etc? There are many less choices,
but still plenty of ways to go wrong.

>>Next desktop for me will be G5 whenever I get around to it (not soon).  Next
>>notebook is either TabletPC or a G4, prolly G4.
>
>yeah, a tabletPC would be perfect for stage! but do they have the
>necessary features and price?

http://www.pricewatch.com

kim

Kim Flint                     | Looper's Delight
kflint@loopers-delight.com    | http://www.loopers-delight.com