SooperLooper mini review (also contains routing cotent!)

hi folks,

after a few false starts at getting a linux machine running with the
Sooperlooper EDP-styled looping software over the past year or so, I
have finally taken the time to get the job done.  As such, Sooperlooper
now provides me with a standalone looping PC that runs four indendent
loops, each capable of over 5 minutes looping time, replete with many of
the EDP features we've grown to love and lust after, and few other natty
extras thrown in the mix.  As such, I thought it helpful to jot down a
few points that come to mind with regard to such a setup.

I managed to get hold of a couple of old IBM desktop machines, each
sporting a 'huge' P3 667mhz processor and 256mb ram.  I couldn't get
reliable low-latency performance out of the onboard soundchips, so I
installed an old Vibra128 card after reading of low-latency success with
these cards.  They are a little noisy, but I will replace them
eventually with a higher end linux friendly card utilising ADAT as the
main transport.

Firstly, I can't reiterate enough how much easier it has become to
install and setup a low-latency linux audio machine thanks to the
efforts of groups such as Agnula and the Planet CCRMA facility
maintained by Fernando Lopez-Lezcano at Stanford.  Just point the
machine at the right mirror, or burn the install CD's, select the right
packages, and at the otherside of the install process you have a well
configured and low-latency linux audio machine.  The good news is that
SooperLooper has been added to the CCRMA facility, and so doesn't have
to be compiled, built, made, tweaked and/or forces you to hunt for
dependencies in order to enjoy the software.  You still have to learn a
little about Linux in the process, but anybody serious about computer
oriented music should by now realise that there is minimum of technical
knowledge required in order to maintain any computer oriented sound
studio.  For all intents and purposes though, almost all of what you
need to know to get going can be found at the Planet CCRMA website,
found here: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

After downloading the Fedora Core 1 discs , which seems to be the best
solution at the moment for Planet CCRMA, I was able to get set up and
configured in under a day (get the RPM enabled discs like CCRMA
suggests, it makes system maintenance easier).   This seems to me
roughly equivalent to installing and configuring a Windows based DAW,
but I've done both more than a few times now though, so YMMV.  Agnula
also has a low-latency single disc solution running under Debian Linux,
but for me, Red Hat's OS always seems more accessable, and gives me the
control over the base install which the Agnula/Demudi solution seems to
hide.  There is also a bootable CD-Rom version of Agnula that lets you
test out the environment on your PC without installing much, if that
takes your fancy - no sooperlooper on it as yet but it can be installed
if you allow the bootable cd to make a small drive space on your windows
hardrive.

The linux audio system has developed a long, long way, and I have to
say, with over many years experience with Window's cludgey multimedia
environment (it took a third party software developer to actually bring
a low-latency and professional audio driver solution to windows), it is
easy to tell that a lot of thought has been put into making Linux audio
feasible from both a technical and a users point of view.  Sounds
strange I know, given the reputation linux has for being overly
technical, and difficiult to decipher for beginners.  By far and away
the greatest feature in making inroads to usability has to be the JACK
system for interconnecting Audio apps and the physical Hardware I/O (and
hence its drivers).  In this way, SooperLooper can be routed through
JackRack, a virtual effects rack, and then to your inputs and outputs in
whatever configuration your imagination desires using the virtual
patchbays provided.  Given that Jack handles all of the interfacing with
your driver and software, it is largely a system level virtual routing
system.  With over two hundred plugins available out of the box and free
in the native LADPSA plugin format , and the excellent work by some in
bringing VST support to linux, you can begin to see the power that is
lieing in the average PC for performance oriented musicians who don't
want to pay for software lock-in.  (yes, there are the usual quality
issues with regards to plugins, but that means the usual spectrum of
so-so to very good)

Back to SooperLooper though.  At the moment I can run my $5 Soundblaster
Vibra128 reliably at 5ms latency (I can go lower, but this takes a
fairly large CPU hit).  For many, this is still too high a latency to
really consider this machine a dedicated looper replacement, but for my
naive musicality, there is a lot of fun to be had.  Keep in mind as well
that there are cards that will enable stable lower latencies in the 2ms
vicinity.  I won't go into a detailed feature set review, as most of the
features are directly modelled on the EDP's feature set (mostly Loop III
features).  There are some extra features though, like variable speed
control from 0.25 to 4x, which allows for some excellent variation
accross the multiple loops, and opens the door for very subtle phase
shifts or automated pitch control of the loop by rate variation (yes,
the rate control also varies the pitch - what were you expecting -
professional time-stretching algorithms in free software!).  There is
also a save and load function for each loop.  I should also mention that
although I am only running four loops on my machine, this is mostly due
to processor limitations at the moment.  Running these four loops with
close to maximum memory is fine, but running all four at the minimum or
maximum playback rate results in a high CPU usage, especially at the
low-latency settings.  Sooperlooper does allow for as many loops as your
machine can handle though, and each with an arbitrary number of
channels, so it is highly expandable.  It has full midi control, as well
as OSC and standard keyboard/mouse control, and is syncable to a
partuclar loop, to the Jack central system timing (again routable from
any hardware /software source), MIDI and i think a couple of other
options.  The sync code is apparently in progress, so I didn't test it
out (had enough fun with just a basic setup).  There is also a scratch
feature that allows playback position to be jogged, though this feature
is also in early stages

pro's
-number of loops, and channels per loop, dependent only on hardware
limitations. can be used with multichannel soundcards...
-multiple loops are simultaneous, much more like the repeater than the
EDP's serial looping approach
-many of the features of the EDP such as multiply, reverse, overdub,
feedback control, insert, replace, delay mode, quantize...
-additional features such as redo, scratch mode and variable playback speed
-integration with a low-latency software environment allows for a highly
flexible live or recording setup.
-will run on relatively miminal system requirements, making it ideal for
a cheap standalone stereo looper. (my machine cost about us$150 to set up.
-open source software means the users aren't stranded if the developer
goes bust, disappears, sells out...

con's
-a learning curve is still present in the transition from windows to
setting up a linux machine.  I would say set aside a weekend to get up
and running, with additional research if you want to have confidence in
knowing what's going on under the hood of your machine.
-requires PC hardware, which means problems of noise for desktop type
machines (can be solved with a little thought, but still requires that
DIY ethos, or the money and research to find a linux friendly laptop
solution).
-smaller userbase means less easily accessable avenues for support.

all up though, I would say that Jesse Chappell, the writer of the
software, has done a great job and created a unique spin on the original
EDP feature set.  The EDP still can't be beaten for plug and play
flexibility and accessability, but those who can't afford or even
purchase one might like to consider sooperlooper as a viable
alternative. It's multiple simulatenous loops and mutichannel support
also position it as a challenger to the repeater's current crown of
multi-looping king.

relevant links:

http://essej.net/sooperlooper
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
http://www.agnula.org/
http://www.agnula.org/Members/sama/demudi_1_1_1_news/view (bootable CD
good for checking out audio apps on linux).
and of course, the EDP pages at Looper's Delight as painstakingly
maintained by Kim...

cheers

michael noble

PS:  those with a general interest in linux audio solutions but little
or no interest in the technicalities might also check out this product,
which bundles many Linux apps freely available elsewhere, together with
dedicated support, in a commercial CD:
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php