Vortex Repair Success! Summary of my quest for tone altering effects

Title: Vortex Repair Success! Summary of my quest for tone altering effects

First of all, thanks to all of you who helped me troubleshoot my sick Vortex (Andy in particular).  And thanks to Jeff Larson for the encoder part number and ordering info.  I replaced the encoder an hour ago, and the unit works great!! Yahoooo!!!  I guess I'll have a backup when that second Vortex I bought on eBay gets here.  It was a fairly easy procedure…a decent 800 degree soldering iron, solder wick, and some cutters.

Also, I'd like to thank all of you who provided the excellent suggestions on effects that would radically alter my guitar tone.  I'll summarize the suggestions and what I went with here:

Suggestions: Boss VF-1, Kurzweil Mangler, Roland VG-8, Evantide Eclipse, TC Electronic G-Force, TC Electronic D-2, TC Electronic G-Major, Boss GT-5, Lexicon Vortex, Lexicon LXP5, Alesis Ineko.

In addition to the Vortex, and as a result of Rick Walker's suggestion to buy the Alesis Ineko, I ended up buying the Alesis Akira, big brother rack mount version of the Ineko ($129 on eBay) (http://www.alesis.com/products/akira/)

My resulting setup:
- Boss SX-700 multi-effects processor (for delay, octave, and chorus)
- Boss GT-3 floor processor (for synth and mind-altering effects)
- Vortex (for more mind altering effects)
- Akira (for even more mind altering effects)
- Two EDPs (looping)
- Alesis Nanoverb (for reverb)

I still have one space in my rack. I plan to get the Kurzweil Mangler, thanks to David Coffin's suggestion.  It looks like a whopper for tone altering effects, but a little more expensive than the above two.  I want to get a better unit for reverb too…not sure on that yet.

Honestly, I would prefer to have the Evantide Eclipse and TC Electronics FireworX, but these units are way out of my budget right now.

Cheers,

Krispen Hartung
http://www.krispenhartung.com
info@krispenhartung.com
View improvisational / real-time looping videos:
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/chagstrom2/music/kris-hartung/catalogue.htm#videos