An invitation to the making of a community.

Dear friends, colleagues and music hounds,

I hope that this note finds you well.

Deb Sinha and I are writing to invite you to become part of what we
hope will be an important new music movement and community network,
Post Traditional Music.

Post Traditional Music is the result of many years of music-making,
thought and discussion. Deb and I have come to the realization that
there's no clear term and intellectual framework for the type of music
that we are striving to make.  This (in brief) is music that is
imaginative, experimental, and original, yet is in some way (or ways)
rooted in the music traditions in which we are trained or from which we
come.  There are others who are pursuing similar paths here in North
America, and we frequently have difficulty  finding venues, support,
and marketing focus because we tend to fall 'between the cracks' of the
current system of genres and 'pigeon holing'. Some feel partially
aligned to various music communities (improvised, musique actuelle,
new/contemporary, traditional, world, jazz, folk, free improvised,
ambient.....) but never feel fully part of these accepted forms.
Although in many ways we prefer the freedom from just such
categorisation, Deb and I wanted to create some way in which we could
build a community and raise awareness to facilitate the development of
an expanded audience and support-base.  Through a combination of
grass-roots participation and targeted meme-planting, we hope to build
an expanded awareness of this creative music and the community of
musicians, composers and improvisers who make it.

We are inviting you to participate in a number of ways.  The first (and
perhaps most important) is to come together, both at events and
gatherings (the first such gathering is detailed below) and through the
'net at the Post Traditional discussion group
(http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/ptrad/).  The first order of business
is to introduce ourselves and begin the discussion and clarification of
what Post Traditional music is.

Deb and I are also running an internet radio station
(http://www.eemarecords.com/postrad/listen.html) and we invite you to
submit your music for broadcast.  This is perhaps this easiest way for
us all to hear each other and get to know where we're all coming from.

And finally, the Post Traditional web-site
(http://www.posttraditional.ca), which we hope will be a source of
information, publicity, links and info about you, the artists who
choose  to align them selves to this idea.

This is all in it's infancy, of course, and we're looking to you to
bring your ideas, opinions and enthusiasm to this project.  Please
share this message with your own music community through your news
groups, e-mail lists, web-sites and even good old word of mouth!  With
your help we hope to build an informal community of like-minded artist
around the world.  Please check out the Yahoo message list, radio
station and website and contribute, discuss and promote!

To inaugurate and celebrate 'going public' with this rather ambitious,
community-building project, (as well as the launch of my website,
http://www.macrophone.org, the formation of Deb's record label, Eema
Records (http://www.eemarecords.com) and the release of Deb's CDs Tumma
and Quell), Deb and I will be performing at the Tequila Lounge, 794
Bathurst at Bloor, Toronto on Tuesday 11th of January.  Doors open at
9:30 and the cover is a token $5.  Deb's CDs (and perhaps some other
goodies) will be available.  Please come to meet, discuss and plot and
hear some adventurous solo and duo improvisation.  We hope to see you
there and online too.

All the best,

Ben and Deb.

Ben Grossman