SF Gig: looped cello set to the paintings of Yvette Molina

Hi there SF Bay Area loopers

I am playing two sets of Electrix Repeater enhanced cello, this Friday
January 21st.  The first set will be my usual brand of looped cello,
the second will be a new work to accompany paintings by Yvette Molina.

Yvette Molina is a painter I met on a plane last year.  We got to
talking about this and that and she showed me her portfolio. Wow! I was
really moved and I found myself thinking about the images for weeks
afterwards. I felt that she expressed something with her painting that
I was trying to express in music. Just a simple, mist, shrouded
silhouette of a trumpet vine seemed to whisper something about beauty,
sorrow and fragility. I can't explain it in words without making it
trite, I guess that's what art is for! I've included below a short
description of her work from a recent gallery show.

Jeff Rusch and Okeanos have converted 48 of her paintings to digital
form and will project them on multiple screens while I play. The goal
is to create an immersive environment of sight and sound.

Thanks very much. Here are all the pertinent details about Friday:

Zoe Keating: looped cello
Yvette Molina: paintings
Jeff Rusch and Okeanos: projectionists

Friday, January 21st
964 Natoma
(in SOMA btw 10th & 11th streets)
doors at 8:30
music at 9:00

$5 to $10 suggested donation

more about Yvette from a recent exhibition entitled "Unquiet Preserve":
http://www.artnet.com/event/70156/Yvette_Molina_Unquiet_Preserve.html

Yvette Molina brings together a series of meticulously rendered oil
paintings that are both a celebration of nature and an invitation to
consider its tenuous existence. For the artist, Unquiet Preserve
ìrefers to both the act of choosing to document the beautiful elements
in the natural world and the unsettling reality that paintings and
photographs are quickly becoming the last preserve of nature...In the
modern age, to gaze upon the beauty of nature is to bear a shadow of
sorrow over its passing.î

Inspired by traditional Chinese landscape painting, Molina's work comes
from detailed observations and recordings of plants, vistas and sky
experienced in her own backyard in Oakland, California. The artist
isolates and removes her subjects from the urban elements she chooses
not to memorialize and paints a single branch or hilly landscape in
crisp silhouette over an indeterminate space. These are spaces for the
imagination where glowing moths flit about along with seeds, pods and
subtle graphic markings.

The works are painted on aluminum panels which reflect light through
twenty to thirty layers of paint, creating a deep luminosity. Molina's
restrained, slate-like palette holds the work in a meditative, abstract
domain where beauty is company to reflection on loss and possibility,
regret and hope