RE: OT the best cheap recording solution

The Maratz PMD660 and PMD570 are what I considered a few weeks ago to
replace my Sony Minidisk recorder.  You probably remember my post where
I requested feedback on recorders.  Rick, if I had known, I would have
sold you mine...it went for $200 on eBay with a Soundprofessionals mini
stereo mic and preamp package.

Here is the PMD570 user guide:
http://www.jbsound.com.au/marantz-pmd570-manual.pdf (this is their
latest rackmout that records directly to flash disk)
More details here: http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/marantz-PMD570.html

However, based on Joe's feedback (no last name, but he's on the list
here) I ended up buying the Alesis Masterlink ML9600 on eBay because it
had a lot more editing features of the PMD recorders, such as
normalization, parametric EQ, fade-in/fade-out, CD-R burner (redbook
grade), records directly to hard disc, compression, look-ahead peak
limiter, cut, paste, 24 bit A/D and D/A converters, up to 96 kHz
sampling rate, balanced XLR analog input and output, 48 bit floating
point DSP, AES and coaxil digital in and outs, etc, etc. Overall, this
unit seemed better for recording live, editing my music, and burning it
to CD-R ready to go for playback.  I found mine on eBay used for $600 in
excellent shape.

More here: http://www.alesis.com/products/ml9600/about.html

Kris