Re: Re: Re:

At 9:59 AM -0800 2/15/05, Larry Cooperman wrote:

>i spent 3 years smoking pot with most of my instructors for my mfa.

Right. You went to CalArts?

>how anyone can stand doing a dma is beyond me except for killing time.

My partner would probably disagree. She worked hard to get her DMA
from Stanford and she did some significant research on bowing
practices in the transitional period between the Baroque and
Classical. She has subsequently published some of this work and
otherwise passed it along to her students and her professional
colleagues. I think this is a fair example of how a serious
scholar/performer can treat the time spent and the work done in a
doctoral program.

I myself spent five years in a doctoral program (PhD in my case). I
worked hard, smoked no pot, made a lot of pieces and absorbed a lot
of information, and I consider it time well spent.

>as you can maybe see i have very little respect for a comprehensive
>education that someone anoints you with.

I don't think one can "anoint" you with a "comprehensive education"
though it is common practice to "bestow" a "degree" on someone who
follows orders for the prescribed period of time. However it is still
possible to earn a degree through educating one's self with the help
of a university.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com