Re: laptop latency

On Mar 15, 2005, at 18:48, Matthias Grob wrote:

>> Latency is actually longer with tube amps than with the transistor
>> based amps. Among metal guitarists this is an well known fact.
>
> so the tube amp freaks actually like latency?

No, but that latency is so small that you only find a problem with it
if you are used to play very close to a transistor amp rig.

> do you know what time range this is in?

No. But very, very short. I have no problem with it. I actually like
tube amps.

>> I never measured the latency of air but you can definitely feel it.
>
> no need to measure, sound travels at 330m/s which gives you 3ms/m,
> easily worse than the computer...

So standing six to nine meters from your amp/speaker is what to compare
with, when computer latency ;-)

> this is also due to slow development of the vibration in the horn,
> right?
> different from latency.

Could be, but that was not my point. I was talking about the fact that
a live gig is PA distributed to the audience with close microphone
placement to pick up all instruments on stage. This makes all
instruments sound synced in the PA. Now, as a musician you easily adapt
to play with "latency" if you have to stand ten meters away from your
instrument amp. But if you play "a little early" to compensate for
hearing your amp through "air latency" the audience will hear it as if
you ware constantly playing "a little late". That's the annoying live
problem.

A good fix for this, if you are with a band, is to use your own
backline for monitoring. The Swedish metal band Meshuggah has developed
a very cute system of POD pro boxes and every player is standing close
to his monitor. By this set-up they can be assured that the audience
will hear it as tight as they deliver.

> I am writing an article to collect all those facts...

Interesting! Will you publish it here?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
---