Re: That Awful Synching Feeling

On Apr 29, 2005, at 22:17, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

> Attention MIDI time-clock gurus,
>
> A few months back I purchased an Adrenalinn I (upgraded with
> Adrenalinn II software) from a fellow looper on this list. I am
> now ready to start trying to synch it to my EDPs and other gear.
>
> My question: What are the working creative advantages and/or
> disadvantages of having either particular device be the "master"
> (and the other the "slave") in the MIDI clock relationship?

I have no hands-on experience with the Adrenalinn, but a little with
the EDP. Speaking EDP, Master vs Slave makes the biggest difference
regarding HalfSpeed/FullSpeed.

When the EDP is the master, every time you go into HalfSpeed it will
bring the Adrennalinn as well into that slower tempo. It might sound
cool but there is the possibility that you get bored with it rather
soon. I liked this set-up when using a Repeater as the slave only
because the Repeater is so slow to adapt and it sounds cool to me
when it sort of "noodles around" to find the new tempo, making these
squirky noises when time stretching loops in real-time. In this set-
up you can also recall EDP programs with different 8ths/cycle
settings to kick the Adrenalinn into double, half or other tempo.

When the Adrenalinn is the master you will get the the option of
jumping in and out of HalfSpeed in the EDP without anything else
changing tempo. I like this a lot for cutting in/out short slices of
the EDP loop. I also like it for doing destructive loop trimming
(ending with Record) of odd lengths compared to the other devices
(Adrenalinn).

pboy