That first note (or loop) . . .

Per (et al),

In a message dated 04/30/05 0:02:43, per@boysen.se writes:

I think this is one of the keys for doing a good live performance.
The first note you play is the most important! It has to be mean
as hell. It has to be magnificent. The first note (or loop) you play
has to sum up emotionally what you are going to do, why you
are standing there on the stage. The first note justifies the
concert. If the first note sucks nothing can save the gig.

That's probably why I may never be very good at this. The first note
(or lick, or loop) IS important to me -- I build off of it. But it's not THAT
important. I almost prefer to start out with a whisper of something --
or some musical bit or fragment that is sooo minimal that it almost
means nothing more than a pulse or slight suggestion of key -- the
more ambiguous the better. And, THEN build toward something.

One of my favorite compositional techniques is to gradually lure the
listener in (promising nothing, but suggesting all sorts of vague mysterious
possibilities) and then, suddenly, WHACK them on the side of the head! An
example of that is easily heard (before and after) the woozy, depressive
eBow intro to the track "Cauterant Baptism" on my CD. Nothing of what's
heard BEFORE gives much of a hint of what's coming down the pike right
at you AFTER. You can sense something is coming but have no idea what.

I like doing that. But then I AM a little sick and twisted anyway.

I once saw John Zorn play a rare gig in Southern California with his band,
Masada. The opening act was a very creative and LOUD local rock band.
When Zorn and Co. took the stage they all played acoustically and very
quietly at first -- almost below the level of the ability of audience at the
back of the room to even hear. Nothing had been said. But, the voices
and clinking glasses all gradually hushed as everyone strained to hear.
Folks were leaning forward in their seats -- expectant. This went on
for a minute or two -- 'til there was absolute silence except or the band.
Then WHAMMM!!! The players launched full-force into what they are
known to do -- a sort of loud, scabrous, free-form, harmolodic mix
of squealing, ear-blistering free jazz and klezmer music that had the
crown stamping and cheering. That's about the best example of what
I'm talking about I've ever seen or heard. It's impressed me ever since.

Like I said, I'm sick and twisted.

Best regards,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???

"Just because nobody understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."