Re: transistor radios Re: Re: bose pa speaker thingie

Mark wrote:
"I always wanted to do a show where people brought (or
were lent) small FM radios with headphones and instead
of a traditional PA I did a small FM broadcast at a
specific frequency"

I saw an awesome show in Santa Cruz with the Flaming Lips, where they
passed
out
little fm radios with open ear headphones.
they had two mixing engineers:   one, to do the house sound and one to do
completely different mix (replete with different effects or so it seemed
as
I was unable to verify it).

the cool thing was that the open ear headphones let the house mix in
perfectly so you go a blend unless you turned up the volume to drown it
out.

At one point I left Palookaville (damn, I miss that creative defunct
venue)
and went to
Starfucks to get some coffee.  I listened to the concert the whole way
down
the block, while I ordered and all the way back because the range of the
fm
transmission was long enough.
It was very, very cool

On the same bill, a guy did one of the most beautiful noise symphonies
I've
ever heard, using 11 circuit bent speak and spells.  It lasted about 25
minutes and was just amazingly beautiful and he just tweaked noise the
whole
time.

I thought that the Flaming Lips were so creative and daring to try such a
cool thing and to have such an unusual and creative opening act.

I hear they did a similar thing with car cassettes where they got a whole
lot of cars together
(I think it was at a drive in theatre) with different interlocking
cassette
parts; handed them out to each car and then synchronized the playing of
the
'piece' so that everyone could walk around listening to the piece of music
with amazing spatiality..............how friggin' clever?