RE: overcoming fixed feedback ratios for e.g. DL4

Title: RE: overcoming fixed feedback ratios for e.g. DL4

>>has anyone ever tried the following: [snip] the loop acts as a feedback loop in addition to the DL4 looper's internal feedback (which is preset to 0.9), only that it's inverse feedback.....<<

it's logical, but unfortunately it is based on the assumption that it's possible to invert the phase of the audio simply by reversing the wires in an /unbalanced/ connector.

I can see what you're getting at, though. worth a try, but the phase inversion would need to be accomplished by more sophisticated means, like a phase-reverse switch on a mixer.

in any case, it's likely that there'd be some degree (NPI) of phase shift & delay between the output of the delay & it's own input, & that you'd likely hear some flanging-type artefacts taking this approach.

I have a feeling that the 100% feedback in the DL4's looper mode is accomplished in the digital domain, along with the feedback in the various echo modes; so even if you were to successfully mix in an inverted version of the loop in order to partially erase it, you'd have some flanging artefacts due to the A>D & D>A processes.

this is similar to what I do with the repeater- I have the feedback turned down & then send the repeater back into itself via an aux on my mixer. any effects &/or eq on the repeater's mixer channel are thus multiplied into the loop to a degree that I can control by balancing the "mixer" feedback against the repeater's own feedback. some flanging arfefacts do present themselves but are lost in the general melee.... :-)

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe