Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to theReceptor for Mobius

Kelly Coyle wrote:
> Receptor is supposedly super-stable, too. XP seems kinda kludgy for a
> dedicated music system, whereas MUSE has adapted Linux. Although  their
> code is GPLed, so it would be there to use.

I can believe Receptor is very stable, but I think that is mostly
due to the restrictions on what it will run.  If you take the time
to remove all the crap in XP that you don't really need, and only
use it to run music applications, it will be just as stable.

Receptor wins on boot time and they appear to have some sort of
crash detection with automatic reboot that is very nice, but
if a plugin crashes on Windows, it will crash on the Receptor too.

While Linux arguably has better support for near-realtime applications,
and the theoretical latency is lower, I wouldn't say it is better
as a dedicated music system.   With an XP based system you also
have the option to run hundreds of other applications like
Bidule, Live, and Sonar.

Jeff