Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to theReceptor for Mobius

Have any of you tried litepc? It used to be 98lite but now they have a
version
for xp as well. It's a program out of Australia that allows you to strip
out a
lot of the xp programs that are unnecesary and slow things down. It's what
used on my laptop compaq m300 with 600mhz p3 processor, and 384 mb ram. I'm
running mobius as a standalone and that laptop as my dedicated looper. So
far
the only time I've run into glitches with it was when I had 7 tracks going
at
the same time with several overdubs on each track. It was running all
that fine
but when I tried to save it,,, the whole thing bogged down. I think with a
faster processor and more ram I could do just about anything I can imagine.

a few people have argued against a software looper... but when I had my edp
apart, my tech friend said "lets see, here's your processor, here's the
ram,
here's the software... looks suspiciously like a dedicated computer to me"

Why not set up a laptop or rackmount computer as the dedicated looping
machine?
It would cost what, 12 or 13 thousand to duplicate what mobius will do
with edp
units! and that doesn't even consider the nightmare of trying to wire up
and
control 16 edp's

When you start comparing what you can do with the software vrs the hardware
versions, I think the software will win out...

Paul Haslem
Ontario, Canada