Re: sound mangling devices?

i think the best ones aren't easy to reproduce with knobs, buttons,
presets etc... that's probably what help make them great ;)  for
example, i have used a Jam Man, rack multi FX of whatever brand, and a
mixer with some old guitar pedals sent in to it with great results. a
lot of old pedals have weird additional FX, like a short delay on a
distortion pedal or weird aspects of an old chorus pedal... by messing
with the returns and levels on all these mixer channels something like a
drum machine source gets very interesting (and "mangled"). of course
it's more improvisational or intuitive, and thus not designed to capture
and repeat each sound effect. but i've found the best results often come
from tweaking small parameters within an effect or sound in response to
live situations, whereas changing between preset effects or effect
groups is too abrupt/drastic for me.

just my 2˘!

-jb

> Boss VF1 isn't too bad. And believe it or not, an old Lexicon LXP5 has
some
> crazy sounds on it...I have one, sitting in my closet. :) Both aren't
packed
> withh a lot of nobs, thought, and the LXP5 is incredibly
>counter-intuitive
> to program.  Hmmmm, this is an interesting challenge.
>
> Kris

'The most faithful audio recording is the one never played." - from
http://www.publicrec.org