Re: Defining "pro"

> Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>
> "Why is anyone here concerned with how we get our  money?
> If you loop and you love it, that's all that matters."

Because we can learn from each other about how to organize a good
life as a creative musician!

--> If you choose the amateur path:
There is a constant conflict between time invested in your creative
art and time invested in getting money. As an amateur you might one
day face a limit when you realize that you can not develop your
artistic skills much further under the restriction of a "daytime job
life situation".
Going pro may look as an easy way to solve that conflict.

--> I you choose the pro path:
There is a constant conflict between having to fulfill business
obligations and the need to dedicate quality time into the creative
arts (after all, that is "the product" that business relies on). You
might start to fear that you won't be able to hold out and "stay true
to your art".
Going amateur may look as an easy way to solve that conflict.

As you see, this is a bizarre dilemma! The maths doesn't work out.
Personally I'm always eager to hear about how others manage to make a
living, especially when interested in obscure styles that doesn't
automatically call for investors. My own "workaround" is to work in
many other areas that are related to performing and composing; like
offering lectures in music, writing books and articles on music or
producing recordings of music.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)