Re: Defining "pro"

Per, as usual you are right on target.

The math, indeed, does not work out.  I'm not saying
that I don't lament my amature status... I'd love to
be able to be paid for what I do.   I do compose
little bits and loops for the media work I do for a
living, but it's a tiny portion.

I've managed becaues I have a talent in the visual
arts that lends itself to graphic design and animation
for web and video.  Luck has it that I've landed a
decent job that rarely makes me work more than 40
hours a week.  Do I get to play as much as I like?
Not at all.  On the plus side of that is that I really
enjoy my time in my studio and it never gets old.

Mostly, I find what keeps me out of the studio is not
my work, but myself.  Procrastination... fear...
laziness... a combo...  As much as I love it I have to
work to make sure I do it.

Mark

--- Per Boysen <per@boysen.se> wrote:

> > Mark Sottilaro wrote:
> >
> > "Why is anyone here concerned with how we get our
> money?
> > If you loop and you love it, that's all that
> matters."
>

> Because we can learn from each other about how to
> organize a good
> life as a creative musician!
>
> --> If you choose the amateur path:
> There is a constant conflict between time invested
> in your creative
> art and time invested in getting money. As an
> amateur you might one
> day face a limit when you realize that you can not
> develop your
> artistic skills much further under the restriction
> of a "daytime job
> life situation".
> Going pro may look as an easy way to solve that
> conflict.
>
> --> I you choose the pro path:
> There is a constant conflict between having to
> fulfill business
> obligations and the need to dedicate quality time
> into the creative
> arts (after all, that is "the product" that business
> relies on). You
> might start to fear that you won't be able to hold
> out and "stay true
> to your art".
> Going amateur may look as an easy way to solve that
> conflict.
>
> As you see, this is a bizarre dilemma! The maths
> doesn't work out.
> Personally I'm always eager to hear about how others
> manage to make a
> living, especially when interested in obscure styles
> that doesn't
> automatically call for investors. My own
> "workaround" is to work in
> many other areas that are related to performing and
> composing; like
> offering lectures in music, writing books and
> articles on music or
> producing recordings of music.
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen