Pro tools [not protools] (was Re: Defining "pro")

Ah, I don't get all the emails for some reason and I
missed this.  Good subject though.

One thing that amazes me is the quality of tools
available to musicians as opposed to what we had 20
years ago.  Looper or otherwise.  As a non pro, I
pretty much by as close to "pro" as I can afford...
weirdly I can afford pro gear now and couldn't when I
was a "pro."  Funny how that works.

I still often think to my days back when I was an
intern for Laurie Anderson during the making of "Home
of the Brave."  Digital Audio workstations (The
Syncavier) set you back about $150K.  You could
probably put together a similar device from off the
shelf software and computer hardware for about... well
let's see!

Macintosh G5: $2,000
MOTU 828mk2: $749
MOTU DP4: $349
Absynth $289
Kontakt $480
Novation Remote61 $499

Total: $4366

Now I'm not a/b comparing the Synclavier to the above
system, I'm sure there are Synclavier fans who will
flame me forever declaring their undying love for the
classic machine... but the point is there's a HUGE
difference in price.  $4366 is within a lot of
people's budgets, but $150,000 is just not.

Then there's the "cheap stuff that's great" catagory
like the short lived Alesis series that the Bitram is
part of.  Very cool stuff for not much cash at all.

Basically, although we whine about lack of loopers,
we're sitting pretty (at least here in the US where
such things are plentiful) in the gear dept.  I'm even
amazed at how good cheap guitars and basses are these
days.  Good times..

Mark

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs