re: DRIVE the LOOP or be DRIVEN?

A few strategies I'd like to throw into the pot.....

Rather than expecting the drummer or other players to follow your loops,
why
not make your loops in such as way that you can follow them?

For example,

1. Make it a strategy to be able to stop and restart your loop without
derailing the piece. With the EDP one can re-define the start point of even
the most freeform loop and then stop and restart it in time with the
drummer. It's possible to make this musically significant and a feature.

2. Remake your loops regularly, plan to only use a limited number of
repetitions. If you want chord sequence backing then record each chord into
a different loop location and trigger via MIDI. EDP "Flip" mode is
interesting. You can do a similar thing with a foot controller on the VF-1
where input to a short loop and it's feedback are on the same controller in
opposite directions.

3. Include less rhythmic information that has to coincide with the drummer
to sound "correct" or at least to not sound as if it's clashing. Leave a
space in the overall dialogue for the drummer to say what he wants not what
you expect him/her to say.

4. Sometime a much longer loop covering a larger structural unit of a piece
will include those marginal pushes and pulls against the nominal tempo that
mark out where you are in the overall scheme of things. (See Rick's earlier
posts about syncing to click on a bar to bar timescale).

5. If the loop has sufficient rhythmic information then expect a more
decorative approach from the drums. Let your expectations include the
drummer playing across your loop, something different to your loop,
something in response to it rather than the same as it.

6. Play more, loop less. Loop a part as a last resort rather than as soon
as
you can. Give a part to a looping device just long enough to attend to
another thing and then take the part back again.

7. Tacet is good !!!

Not really an answer to the original technical question but strategies that
I have used in practice.

Best wishes

Jeremy

http://www.masse.org.uk