Stereo

  I don't think stereo is an artificial construct .We have  ears on either
side of the head so we can do audio direction finding,which is similar to
depth perception with binoccular vision.Notably animals tha are predators
have binoccular vision ,to be able to accurately spring on prey,hawks cats
while prey animals have 360 or close, and can move eyes independently to
watch for attack,rabbits ,deer horses etc. (Possibly simians have
binoccular
for navigating in trees as some veggetarians have argued,but sqirrels
don't
and they are incredibly precise acrobats)  Anyway bilateral symmetry is
one
of the most outstanding qualities that identify life forms,though there
are
some assymetrical life forms,but not many , amoebas and slime molds come
mind. So the center line is a fundamental quality of orientation most
animals also have a face ,which means front and rear orientation as
well,so
it would seem natural to mimic these qualities in audio formats.Owls have
two ears but offset which apparentlyincreases their audio accuracy