Re: RPTR issues

At 8:11 AM -0800 12/14/05, Zoe Keating wrote:
>On Dec 14, 2005, at 12:55 AM, William Walker wrote:
>>  regarding hiss and peaks, are you running the rptr in a parallel
>effects
>>loop with the input mute engaged?  you should be for optimal sound
>
>Yes, I've tried this one but don't do it because the back LEFT input
>of the RPTR is very noisy (more ticking - forgot to mention this).
>It ticks loudly when only one input is engaged, it ticks quietly
>when both are engaged. Stephen said that the mod to fix output
>ticking would also fix the input problem? Both the RPTRs do this.

It really sounds like you need to look into some of the noise mods
that have been developed for the RPTR, Zoe.

The first was the power supply replacement, developed by Peter Toms
at Condor Electronics up in Seattle (who may be the person your
friend was referring to earlier).  Just regulating cleaner power
reduced the noise by a few dB's.

Then, a fellow in Massachusetts developed a internal mod to reduce
overall noise, with a mind toward reducing the CFC card noise
specifically.  From what I understand, the circuitry for the CFC (as
well as the circuit for the front side guitar input) is too close
physically to the output stage and produces unneeded noise.  This mod
disables the front panel input entirely, and buffers the CFC stage
resulting in quite a reduction in unit noise.

Lately, I've seen Peter Toms announce that he figured out a new mod
which incorporates both his improved power supply along with similar
internal modifications to the unit.  This one supposedly reduces
output noise by up to 25 dB(!).

Finally, a well known but quick-&-easy workaround to the "CFC
clicking" problem is to simply use the RPTR's digital SPDIF output
which, from what I understand, bypasses the amplification stage as
well as the noisy circuitry.  Of course, the caveat there is that you
actually have to have a mixing board or adapter to plug the digital
output *into*.

Good luck with getting the noise tamed.  I seem to have gotten lucky
with my RPTR, and don't seem to have the same level of noise you're
experiencing (but there is still some noise, though).  I may send my
unit in to Peter for the mod anyway, just because I'm a fidelity
snob.  ;)

        --m.

--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"