Re: new guy intro

I didn't necessarily rebuild fm7 in max, i just made some basic synth
stuff. I definitely didn't get the sound quality that fm7 (nor
reaktor synth) provides, but i was able to avoid the whole midi into
vst~ nightmare. I know it's not THAT hard (prepend midievent all
that..), but with all the data that comes out of my midi guitar
controller, it was a headache. It also seemed that several of my vst
instruments were unreliable in the vst~ position. So I try to stay
away from that now. I hope to build a really good solid synth in MSP
one of these days, my needs are specific but not ridiculous, mostly
cool lead sounds and the occasional pad (i am also on the lookout for
a nord micro that i can cannibalize for this role). Only thing is
that FM7 sounds so good and uses virtually no CPU. It maybe a DX7
clone, but it does have the suspicious ability to mimic the casio CZ
line. Can anyone say Phase Distortion vs. Frequency Modulation.
There's a debate for ya.

Oh also, i tried using soundflower to get fm7, guitar rig, reaktor as
stand alones to jive with max/msp. Another way to avoid vst~. While
it did work fairly well, it didn't work all the time. So that got
kicked to the curb too. As of right now I am actually looking at
building my entire system into Guitar Rig 2, it's an incredible
improvement over version 1. And I have been finding some nice ways to
get synthlike tones from my guitar signal. The only thing that I
might need to do is run a max patch for the more complicated midi
routing. But getting midi between apps is far easier than audio
still. I don't care what the Rewire believers say.

- b