RE: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

Hi Travis,

I see how the math adds up. Interesting. It is true that computers, like
almost all electronic devices (vintage gear excepted) seem to depreciate in
the real world at about 50%/year, and that software pretty much depreciates
100% the day you "drive it out of the showroom". The latter is mostly
because of the whole software protection/piracy mess which makes it nearly
impossible to establish or transfer ownership in a trustworthy manner. Sad
but true.

OTOH, I don't know too many people who paid $2700 for their laptops - my
Powerbook G4 is not state of the art, but together with 1GB of RAM it was
about $1800, and while it's not as fast as main desktop pc, it is fast
enough for now (until I start loading up with plugins, I guess). You can
probably get a pretty fast Wintel laptop with a couple of gigs new for
$1500
(just a guess).

And - this point was made before, mostly - to be really nitpicky about it,
the right way to calculate the cost of the computer is to calculate how
much
*extra* you had to pay to make the computer music-ready above and beyond
what you were going to pay for an email/word processing/web/(and possibly
work) computer anyway (which I assume is a necessity of life for anyone on
this list). For me, that amount was $30 for the firewire card on my latest
computer, and probably another $100 for extra hard disk space for audio
files, since I need a fast machine for work anyway. The audio interface was
pricey, but I paid for that with the last computer and just transferred it
to the new one.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota