Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Sirota" <wsirota@wsdesigns.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, 05 January, 2006 13:56 PM
Subject: RE: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

> Hi Travis,
>
> I see how the math adds up. Interesting. It is true that computers, like
> almost all electronic devices (vintage gear excepted) seem to depreciate
> in
> the real world at about 50%/year, and that software pretty much
> depreciates
> 100% the day you "drive it out of the showroom". The latter is mostly
> because of the whole software protection/piracy mess which makes it
>nearly
> impossible to establish or transfer ownership in a trustworthy manner.
>Sad
> but true.
>
> OTOH, I don't know too many people who paid $2700 for their laptops - my
> Powerbook G4 is not state of the art, but together with 1GB of RAM it was
> about $1800, and while it's not as fast as main desktop pc, it is fast
> enough for now (until I start loading up with plugins, I guess). You can
> probably get a pretty fast Wintel laptop with a couple of gigs new for
> $1500
> (just a guess).

Actually Dell sells an Inspiron model with 1.8GHz, 1GB memory and an 80GB
hard drive, including bluetooth/wireless/lan and a 15" screen - and it
went
for $1200 with XP Pro and a full Office 2003 setup, firewall sw, a/v, the
lot.  We got it as a Christmas prezzie for my nephew who's starting at Ole
Miss next year under a Baseball scholarship (so yes there was a discount
on
the basis of academic use for the software).  This guy pitches left hand,
too.  The model we got (B130) is the minimum spec for the college to hook
up
to their network, thus the higher cost.

We found that if we hadn't had to be at 1.8GHz - the next lower option was
1.5, which really isn't that much of a difference anymore - the whole
thing
would have cost under $800.

The Powerbooks can't compete on the cost factor, and never did.

> And - this point was made before, mostly - to be really nitpicky about
>it,
> the right way to calculate the cost of the computer is to calculate how
> much
> *extra* you had to pay to make the computer music-ready above and beyond
> what you were going to pay for an email/word processing/web/(and possibly
> work) computer anyway (which I assume is a necessity of life for anyone
>on
> this list). For me, that amount was $30 for the firewire card on my
>latest
> computer, and probably another $100 for extra hard disk space for audio
> files, since I need a fast machine for work anyway. The audio interface
> was
> pricey, but I paid for that with the last computer and just transferred
>it
> to the new one.

I find the net worth calculations that use the used-car-lot to be sort of
accurate - but they don't really apply to the real world.  If your car
works
fine and you like it, and people you drive around in it like it, then its
value suddenly attains a non-monetary plus that can't really be figured on
an accounting level (except as some weird form of "good will").  Here's an
example of what I mean: If you buy an $800 laptop new, and it works fine,
who cares if it's street value went down 50% the moment you hit the shrink
wrap?  If the laptop helps you do a show your own value of the thing is
more
important.  Whatever you make on the show adds to the value of the laptop
as
well.

In a PC firewire cards only cost $4.50 now, and a casual look at CDW (a
high
price in comparison with other vendors) has a Western Digital 7200RPM
120GB
drive for under $90
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=361857.

Stay away from Maxtor and IBM's "deathstar" drives - they overheat and
have
a poor QA.  Maxtor was just purchased by Seagate (which perhaps means that
China will no longer be making the drives), but Western Digital has the
top
hat on this one.  I've only had three WD drives fail on me before four
years
was up, in 20 years of installing and using them.

As far as large audio files are concerned I only keep the stuff I'm using
or
working on, on the hard drive.  Otherwise it's archived in double on CDs
(and soon DVDs, as they store nearly several gigs, in comparison with a
mere
680MB sported by the CD).  If you think along the lines of "but I'm using
ALL of it!" then invest in an external drive.  Iomega makes what I imagine
is a RAID-based box that allows up to 1 Terabyte of storage.

HTH

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack