Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

On 5 jan 2006, at 20.19, Travis Hartnett wrote:

> If anyone out
> there is doing all their signal processing and looping on a laptop,
> I'd love to hear the specs of what they're using.

I have tried that but given it up. Now I only do the looping on
laptops and process my instrument sound with an additional preamp and
effect processor before the audio hits the lappy input. It sounds
better, it gives a larger sound pallet to work with and finally; it
doesn't bog down the computer too much. I also enjoy to record my
fully processed sound into loops, as opposed to dong the looping
first and adding effect plug-ins to the loops.

The closest I ever was to a working "laptop only" looping setup was
when using an electric guitar with a green Tube Screamer fed directly
into the soundcard. Suitable input level and great sound - but no
other sound than that "great green sound" ;-)   Then, on a blow-out
sale I was lucky to pick up a TC Electronix Fireworx very cheap and
it totally rocks (after reprogramming the patches). I also borrowed
an Eventide Eclipse for a while, to test it, but did not like the
sound as much. I also play flute and sax, so different mics is also
an issue (not going into that here).

Anyway, "all signal processing and looping on a laptop" is
complicated and what I'm trying to say is that you may be rewarded
for keeping it simple - which is getting a box that sounds good (Pod
Pro, Vetta etc if you use guitar) and feed the Laptop looping
software with the best signal and tone. Also see to keep the pre-amp
MIDI clock synced from the looping software, so whatever beat synced
effects you play will be in sync with the loops. This opens up for
very free and open playing where you can dare to let loops fade out
and add some space, depth and horizon to the music. It is also a good
way of fighting latency related problems.

If you're shopping for a Powerbook, try to hold on to the new line
with Pentium processors. The recent Powerbooks are rather limited
regarding CPU power (IMHO). Also watch out for those inexpensive pc
lappies. Quite often the truth is that you "don't get what you don't
pay for". Take Dell for an example, they use to put new and untested
components into the Inspiron product line to see how it is working.
If the components do fine they will be used in the more expensive
models, but if the components don't do very well - just bad luck for
you if you happened to buy such an "inexpensive" machine during that
particular testing period. When comparing prices Mac/PC I have found
that it's almost the same cost, if you want to stay clear from risk
taking.

Mac or PC is also a software question. For me that is important
because I do a lot of work in Logic and love to loop in Augustus
Loop, both OS X only apps. On the other hand, the mighty Möbius is XP
only and can't be run on a Mac. So it's also up to what you want to
do musically.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)