Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

At 7:54 PM -0800 1/5/06, Travis Hartnett wrote:
>There's far less discounting on new Apple hardware.  The same source
>for the EDP price of $799 (Sweetwater) has the same PowerBook prices
>as the Apple Store.  I did a quick poke around just now, and there are
>a few places that seem to be offering the same model for around $2K,
>so we can use that figure.  Still, in a year it'll be worth a grand,
>whereas the EDP appears to be depreciating at a much slower rate.

No real argument on the depreciation -- *especially* on Apple
laptops.  Right now, I'm typing this on my Powerbook 667.  I think
I've mentioned it (read: obsessed over it) before, but when I bought
this thing it was the top-of-the-line in their product catalog.
However, before the manufacturers warranty had even run out, not only
was it no longer their flagship model, it wasn't even on offer any
longer.  Two other faster models had made it completely redundant
before the span of even eight months was up.  (If you can't tell, I'm
still a little pissed off over that one.)

On the other hand, it always performed admirably as a music computer
(still does, as I've got Ableton installed and occasionally use it to
test new VST's).  And now it works great as my personal deck
dedicated mostly to my email, surfing, whatnot...

Apple laptops do depreciate horribly, cost-wise.  Then again, I've
had three PC laptops go from new to paperweight in the time I've had
this one, so I guess I've gotten my money's worth out of it.  Go
figure <*shrug*>.

        --m.

--
_______
"I want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back..."