WAYS TO SELL OUR SELVES: ONLINE

SERVICES THAT CAN DISTRIBUTE YOUR CD: THE ORCHARD

Note: This service is more of a distributor, rather than one that sells your CD directly. Their partnerships are very expansive and impressive. For the price, they really do a lot for you.

Good article on Orchard distribution options and costs: http://nogenre.com/theneworchard.htm

The Orchard is the leading digital distributor for independent record labels. We represent thousands of labels and artists spanning 73 countries and every music genre.

Largest distribution network - We supply music to eMusic, iTunes, MSN, Rhapsody, Napster and over 100 other digital music stores throughout the world. No other company matches our digital retail relationships.

Marketing expertise - We are the industry leaders for marketing, promoting and merchandising digital music. We make sure that your priorities rise above the million other tracks, through prominent placements and creative in-store promotions. Digital stores recognize that our 700,000-track catalogue is diverse, valuable and constantly growing. Our large catalogue gives us the clout to reach major decision-makers at all of the major digital stores on a daily basis.

Digital Stores they supply:
http://www.theorchard.com/stores/index.php

Fees/Cost: $30 - $99 (depending what distribution option you go with)

1. Worldwide Digital Distribution - $45 per release
2. Digital and Physical Global distribution - $99 per release

Percentage of CD Sales: 30%

Digital Distribution to other services? Yes, these:
http://www.theorchard.com/stores/index.php

MP3 downloads on site? No (they give your music to the hundreds of CD and digital music providers, usually samples)

Example download page for artists:
http://www.theorchard.com/dist/artistPage.php?artist_id=40097

How to Sign Up: Fill out this form - http://www.theorchard.com/clientSignup/index.php

Pros: More than a sales services, but a distributor, world-wide; already distibutes to Amazon (so you don't need to double join); will get you on All Music Guide; unbelievably long list of digital distributors, and a good list of CD retailers (like Tower and Sam Goody, etc) that will sell your CD; allows you to run finanical reports; percentage of sales is reasonable

Cons: Difficult to make changes to your submitted CDs, such as genre, etc