Looperlative LP1 and Web 2.0

Sorry, didn't mean to shake anybody's tree. I just follow tech.  I'm
not bashing Looperlative either. Replies below.

>From: mark sottilaro <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com>
>Very good point Per.  When was the last time you
>bought a laptop or software and had the developer
>respond personally to a question posted to a list?
>NEVER.  That is surely worth something.

For me?  All the time, actually.  From the megas hardly ever but from
small shops for special-purpose stuff?  Yup, yup and yup.  Software
is service.  Maybe the music software/hardware companies haven't
caught up with that yet.  That will change.

>From: Tom Ritchford <tom@swirly.com>
>In order for Behringer to ship, they'd have to ship a box that did
>something useful.  They can't ship a box that does nothing and wait
>for people to write software!  Just writing the "basics" of a decent
>looper that people would pay several hundred dollars for is, as we
>know, a difficult activity.

True.  But looping software's been done.  And done. It only has to be
as useful as, say, a Boss, an LD or an Akai Headrush.  As long as it
can be added to.

>And this has taken them years to achieve and is not based around a
>proprietary bit of hardware.

Okay, so off-the-shelf components, then. The DSP and memory chips are
the heart of most of the digital equipment we see and a lot  of it is
the same chips over and over.  Maybe it's not the hardware, it's the
package. And maybe the hardware is open, too.  The boutique world for
specialty markets is a fine way to make a living.

> > Max/MSP is a visual programming environment
> > previously used by installation artists that is now being used more
> > and more by digital musicians and has been used to create a cheap
> > open-source Final Scratch.
>
>Again, this took years and years to do and isn't based around a
>proprietary system.

Oh there are a number of propietary bits of hardware out there that
Max/MSP uses. And Max/MSP could be used to add features to a
looper.  It may have taken years but it's already here. Nobody starts
from scratch.

> > The new product paradigm folks are aiming
> > at is Web 2.0.
>
>Wait, how did we jump to web applications?  None of these programs
>have anything to do with the web?!

Sorry, I should have explained myself.  See:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html
for the manifesto. Under all the geek-speak it's about communities
being both markets and content developers.  The web's part in this
has to do with enabling tools and the social networks.   Besides the
LP1 has an ethernet cable, remember? ;-)

I don't want to waste anybody's time on this and I definitely don't
want to make folks feel like they need to circle the wagons.  The
Looperlative LP1 looks like a great product and I hope that all of
Bob's plans work out.  The discussion on this list just made me think
a bit about the paths not taken and what the looping world is going
to look like in 5-10 years.

If you're interested in discussing this further, especially if you're
a geek like me, contact me offline at:
Kevin@TheNettles.com

Peace,
Kevin